Tips on Staging Your Clients Property
When you enter the home, try to look at it from a buyer's point of view. Can you see the room or is all you see the furniture and the clutter? Here are some tips you can use.
- De-clutter everything. Keep items in the room to sets of odd numbers, like 1, 3, or 5. Make sure items are large. No small items, it just makes the room feel clutter
- Remove any unnecessary furniture items from all rooms. Arrange the furniture with a focal point, and be sure to allow easy access through the rooms. No narrow spaces in pathways.
- Clean everything! Toothbrush clean. Make your kitchen and bathrooms sparkle.Keep kitchen and bathroom counertops as clear as possible. There should only be decorative items, and those should conform to the large and odd numbered criteria
- Remove all items from the front and top of the refrigerator
- Bathroom towels should be of good quality, tie a ribbon or something around them and don't use them. Keep the towels you personally use in a bedroom closet. Keep make-up and shaving gear inside a cabinet.
- Wash windows, and clean up front and back porch and yard. Curb appeal is important!
- Shampoo your carpets; especially if you have pets and children. Paint walls; a fresh coat of paint is very attractive.
- Make sure your home smells good. Use air fresheners, or bake cookies, bread, or pie!
- Leave the lights on, drapes open, and music playing softly for any showings. And leave it like that when you go to work, you never know when you could have a last minute showing.
If all these things are done, the home WILL sell faster than if it's not done. These days, most homes are staged and they are your competition. You need to outshine your competition. Visit other homes in the area that are selling for what your want to sell you home for.
Marianne Snygg, GRI, ABR, ASP
ERA Herman Group Real Estate
Colorado Springs and Monument Real Estate