How to Twitter, From a Newbie's Point of View...
- I started Twittering a couple of weeks ago and found it originally, a challenge. However, I kept plugging away, and feel very comfortable now. What did I learn and how did I get past that feeling of being alone at a party?
Sign up or on
- First thing to do is get a Twitter account. Go to www.Twitter.com, get an URL address and sign on. Very easy!
- Now your looking at the Twitter interface. Search for my URL: @mcsnygg, and click on the "follow" button.
- Go to my Twitter page, and check out all the people I'm following. Click on "view all." Add people that look interesting by checking out their Twitter page.
- Initially only add around 50 people, until you get the hang of it.
- I found that I was having trouble knowing what was going on with the Twitter website. So, I check out a couple of other interfaces. Try downloading and working with Twhirl and TweetDeck. My favorite is TweetDeck, but it doesn't work for everyone. So, try them both, or others if you know of them.
- When you are at any of these interfaces, click on EVERYTHING to learn what it does and how it works.
- If you have added a bunch of people to follow, you will get some of them following you. So, here's where you join into the "party." But, you have to have people to follow!
- Some people, when they sign on, just send an hello to the entire community. You do that by just typing in a greeting. Everyone on the network will see it. You might or might not get a response. Don't be discouraged.
- Start reading the posts, and if you find one that looks interesting to you, send at message to the person posting what interest you. It's done by typing their name (there's an easier way on Twhirl and TweetDeck) into the input box and ask a question, or add something to the conversation.
- If they don't respond, don't feel it's personal. They may have just gotten up and walked away, or perhaps the phone rang. Don't give up, try someone else. There are many, many very friendly people on Twitter.
Questions? Just let me know. I'd be delighted to pay it forward!
Marianne Snygg, GRI, ABR, ASP
ERA Herman Group Real Estate
Colorado Springs and Monument Real Estate